Exercising physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual abilities is required to not only maintain but also improve these abilities. Without exercise, these abilities diminish. Furthermore, fitness in one area can strongly influence fitness in another. For example, improving physical fitness enhances mental, emotional, and even spiritual acuity.
Specific exercises are designed to improve strength, flexibility, balance, and aerobic capacity. But every exercise must be tailored to meet a person’s individual requirements, such as age. Where weight bearing is a problem, water exercises are helpful. Chair and desk exercises are useful for those who spend long hours in a sitting position. There are many exercises and activities like these that are inexpensive and can fit the budget of almost anyone.
From Church Magazines
- “Exercising the Soul,” Ensign, January 2008, 53
- “Move More, Stress Less,” Ensign, August 2004, 58
- “Running Away from It All,” Ensign, February 1981, 28
- “Walk for Your Life!” Ensign, August 1990, 72
- “Why Train with Weights?” Ensign, February 1993, 61
- “Winter Fitness Fun,” Ensign, January 2005, 72
- “Ye Are the Temple of God,” Ensign, November 2000, 72